[armedbear-devel] patch to compile with ecl

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Nov 21 19:50:38 UTC 2010

On 11/21/10 3:42 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> Here is a patch to allow ecl compile abcl (it fails however).
>
> I also had problems with ZEROP stumbling on NIL, so I rather brutishly
> replaced most of its occurences with EQUAL 0.   run-shell-command will
> need some work...

Thanks for the starting point.  The attached patch allows ecl-10.4.1 to
build ABCL and has been included in [ABCL trunk as r13041][1].

I used EXT:SYSTEM instead of EXT:RUN-PROGRAM for the shell command
interface.  Although with this approach there doesn't seem to be a
reliable way to redirect the output, at least it reliably returns the
exit status correctly.  In ecl-10.4.1 there's an undocumented :WAIT
keyword to EXT:RUN-PROGRAM that allows one to read the output from the
subprocess as it happens, but then doesn't seem to return the exit
status from the command.  Without the :WAIT nil versioncommand, I wasn't
able to reliably read the output.  One can see my commented out
implementation on line 181ff. if one is interested in experimenting here.

I refactored the BUILD-ABCL approach a bit to give better diagnostics,
and somewhat saner structure, but I wouldn't say I'm really satisfied.
I expect there will be real problems working under the various
Windows-based Lisps that I'm not currently in a great position to
regression test.  So, I'm not proposing to include support for ecl in
abcl-0.23.0, preferring to get more time to test and season the
implementation.

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/13041