[armedbear-devel] Reading a UTF-8 lisp source fails.

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Sun Nov 7 04:45:26 UTC 2010

My sources contain some non US-ASCII characters, so they're all
encoded in UTF-8.  However, loading them fails:

[pjb at kuiper :0.0 lisp]$ LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 abcl
Armed Bear Common Lisp 0.20.0
Java 1.6.0_22 Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
Low-level initialization completed in 0.266 seconds.
Startup completed in 0.726 seconds.
Type ":help" for a list of available commands.
CL-USER(1): (load"test-abcl-unicode.lisp")
Error loading /home/pjb/src/git/public/lisp/test-abcl-unicode.lisp at line 3 (offset 54)
#<THREAD "interpreter" {132021A}>: Debugger invoked on condition of type STREAM-ERROR
  Input value 0xffc2 is malformed while recoding with charset US-ASCII
Restarts:
  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
[1] CL-USER(2): (quit)
[pjb at kuiper :0.0 lisp]$

What should I do to let abcl read them as UTF-8 and not try to convert
them into US-ASCII?

The test file is:

;;;; -*- mode:lisp;coding:utf-8 -*-

(defvar *test* "45°")