[armedbear-devel] Optimizing loading times: different strategy for externalizing

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Fri May 21 09:42:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Alessio Stalla <alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can we assume that the textual part of a FASL is ASCII text and thus
>> avoid UTF-8 conversions? It seems that it took a lot of time from my
>> profiling.
>
> Would that preclude having unicode string constants?

We could encode Unicode strings in ASCII, escaping non-ASCII
characters some way. What could be more problematic is symbols with
unicode characters in them. We could arrange that |foo| performs the
same type of escaping that "foo" does (in FASLs only).

Alessio