[armedbear-devel] Re-organizing swing/awt included with ABCL

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Wed May 19 12:45:21 UTC 2010

On 5/19/10 9:42 AM, Alessio Stalla wrote:

[…]

>> 4.  I think it would be useful to move the JPanel code into base ABCL for a
>> basic interactive REPL.  This would facilitate embedding ABCL in many tools
>> where the core functionality is maintained in central location.  This would
>> allow Netbeans, for example, to easily include a GUI to the ABCL REPL.  I
>> would not favor this being a full IDE effort at all, but would provide the
>> base GUI element that others could customize.  At the same time, maybe we
>> should consider removing unused parts of the
>> org.armedbear.lisp.java.{awt,swing}.* classes?  Is this something used by J
>> that could profitably moved over?
>
> What is the JPanel code? As part of my "Snow" GUI library, I have a
> basic REPL, debugger and inspector available. The REPL is pure Java
> and does not depend on anything but Swing/AWT, so it could be included
> in ABCL as-is. There's room for improvement, but it's already usable
> as it is if you don't expect fancy things from it. The Lisp interface
> to the REPL, the debugger and the inspector instead are written in
> Lisp and depend on the Snow DSL. I know Alan successfully ran the Snow
> REPL with Protege (after some bugfixing).

The org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp plugin uses
snow.swing.ConsoleDocument, so I would propose we move a version of this
to org.armedbear.lisp.java.swing.Console more or less as-is.  Any
thoughts on how you want to maintain the dependence between this and the
rest of Snow?

For the rest of the classes under org.armedbear.lisp.java I would
propose perhaps moving them to the examples hierarchy?  It does not seem
that J depends on them.  Neither does Snow from what I could grep. Does
anybody know of any consumers of these interfaces?  And does it seem
like a good idea to move them to the examples hierarchy?  If we agree to
such a move, I would agree to produce some amount of documentation for
the use in examples.