[armedbear-devel] generated abcl shell script executable

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu May 13 12:26:21 UTC 2010

On 5/12/10 9:07 PM, Matthias Cords wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> just a suggestion.
>
> would it be possible to change the generated "abcl" shell script to not
> use the -cp parameter to the java executable, but set up the classpath
> like e.g. so
>
>    export CLASSPATH=`dirname $0`/dist/abcl.jar:$CLASSPATH
>
> and then invoke
>
>    exec .../java org.armedbear.lisp.Main "$@"
>
> i.e. without the -cp parameter.
>
> This would result in the CLASSPATH environment variable that was in
> effect before the call to the abcl script to remain available to the
> lisp interpreter.  i.e. jdbc driver classes etc.

I would propose the attached patch for UNIX, but we need to find the
equivalent behavior under the Windows shell for which I solicit a
contribution from someone who has the requisite knowledge (or time for
Google and experimentation)

Some points:

1)  export CLASSPATH="..." is not legal Bourne shell syntax

2)  Don't export CLASSPATH unless it is already exported

3)  If CLASSPATH is not set, don't leave a trailing ':' in the path

4)  The absolute form of the directory should already have been set in
the Ant build, so the `dirname $0` isn't necessary (and would break is
abcl is symlinked)

> apart from that I think abcl is a great great piece of software making
> life a lot more convenient.  thanks to everyone participating!

Thanks, and welcome aboard!