[armedbear-devel] debug assert considered bad for health

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Thu May 6 17:18:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Ville Voutilainen <
ville.voutilainen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 May 2010 19:32, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> That doesn't, unfortunately, solve the concern Mark states above. What
> we'd like
> >> to have is capability to say
> >> Assert((5 + 6 + 7) == 18);
> > well, having a look at the code, that wouldn't be that useful. In many
> > case some Boolean is computed and the assertion tests that Boolean.
>
> With the above example, you could show _how_ the boolean is computed.
> That assert would print stuff like
>
> "Assertion failed at foobar.java:123: ((5 + 6 + 8) == 18)"
>
> or
>
> "Assertion failed at foobar.java:666: (verifyBlackMagic(1, 2, 3, 4))"

Yes, but I think what's needed is more like:

        if (p.host != NIL) {
            if (p.host instanceof SimpleString) {
                host = new
SimpleString(((SimpleString)p.host).getStringValue());
            } else  if (p.host instanceof Symbol) {
                host = p.host;
            } else if (p.host instanceof Cons) {
                host = new Cons((Cons)p.host);
            } else {
                Debug.assertTrue(false);
==>
                Debug.fail("Expected pathname host of '"+ p + "' to be a
string, symbol, or cons");

-Alan

            }