[armedbear-devel] debug assert considered bad for health

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Thu May 6 13:44:32 UTC 2010

I committed a sin on this one and worked around it and didn't record the
specifics :( I'll be better next time.

But what I wanted to point out (not very constructively - sorry) was that it
would be nice if debug.assertTrue printed out what it tried to assert as a
message, to the console, so that one could diagnose a little without having
to find the line in the source code.

I've been hitting a number of these. Often they happen at odd times, with
very little to go on to even start debugging - say when compiling a
function. There isn't a stack trace that's informative, I don't know what
abcl was doing, and the report doesn't give me enough information to start.

A lot of the time I'll spend the effort to try to track it down, but I'd
certainly appreciate it if some of the developers could think a bit about
how to improve the situation wrt debugging such.

Regards,
Alan