[armedbear-devel] [asdf-devel] Patches for ABCL against asdf-1.641

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 06:25:29 UTC 2010

Dear Mark,

> Fare's suggestion that I use an output translation based on the jar
> pathname doesn't quite work, because in our current implementation,
> the pathname of the jar is stored in DEVICE, separate from the rest
> of the jar pathname. I extended PATHNAME-MATCH-P to match jars
> correctly, but I don't see a possible extension of TRANSLATE-PATHNAME.

Couldn't you extend the ABCL pathname matching algorithm to allow for
wildcards and all in the device component?

> So I would ask the ASDF developers to consider extending the
> output translation DSL to allow something like
>
>  (initialize-output-translations
>    '(:output-translations :ignore-inherited-configuration
>       (#p"jar:file:/**/*.jar!/**/*.*" :function SYS::ASDF-JAR-OUTPUT-TRANSLATE)))

I suggest that either you make (:function foo) a valid second value
for an output-translations list, or you make said list accept a &key
function argument in addition to its two current positional arguments.
But having weird non-standard vararg convention for such lists is
probably a bad API. The default function would be TRANSLATE-PATHNAME
and the calling convention would be the same.

> And, is there a syntax to specify that a pathname matching a given
> pattern should have no output location, but should just load the
> source?

You mean, something to force LOAD-SOURCE-OP instead of LOAD-OP? Nope.
But I suppose some component class could be defined to do this.

The Keyboard is mightier than the Death Ray...