[armedbear-devel] [asdf-devel] Patches for ABCL against asdf-1.641

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Mar 25 06:49:19 UTC 2010

On 3/25/10 7:34 AM, Faré wrote:
[…]

>> [1]:
>> http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/browser/trunk/abcl/src/org/armedbear/lisp/asdf-abcl.lisp
>>
> Do you want me to merge that into upstream ASDF with #+abcl conditions?

Not yet: it doesn't make sense until I figure out what works with ASDF2
(that patch only works with ASDF 1.3).

> Note: If ABCL supports matching and translating such paths,
> there could be ASDF-Output-Translation rules by default with ABCL
> in the idea of
> (#p"/**/*.jar/**/*.*" (:home #p"**/*.jar/**/*.*")

An avenue that I will explore.  Thanks.

>> It would be perhaps cleaner to have the binary locations machinery of ASDF2
>> react to not being able to write to the Pathname derived from the location
>> of the ".asd" file in an extensible manner. This might be useful for users
>> of Lisps other than ABCL who don't have permission to write to the system
>> ASDF location for instance.  My current problem is that the :BEFORE for
>> PERFORM specialized on COMPILE-OP SOURCE-FILE contains an
>> ENSURE-DIRECTORIES-EXIST which by default is derived from the ".asd"
>> Pathname.  Is there a way to per-system customization of the output
>> location?
>>
> How do you propose to do that?

Not sure, which is why I was floating the idea for comments, but if I
can run a user-defined function after the .asd has been parsed to
programatically implement the following, that might work.  I need to
read up on what is present in the currently defined mechanism.

>> Thinking quickly for an ASDF2 algorithm:
>>
>> 1.  Is the directory containing the ".asd" writable?  If so, continue
>> normally.

[…]

> Juanjo of ECL was thinking of a different delivery mechanism, where
> compiling a ASDF system would yield another ASDF system of the same
> interchangeable name, but the content of which would be just one or
> several binary objects to load.
>
> Perhaps that's what you really want to be using?

That's worth investigating as well.

Thanks for the input.