[armedbear-devel] is there a good method to read/write java byte arrays?

David Kirkman dkirkman at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 17 19:10:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Alessio Stalla
<alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM, David Kirkman <dkirkman at ucsd.edu> wrote:

>>> Committed as r12557.
>>>
>>> A.
>>>

>> Thanks for implementing the inverse function so quickly!
>>
>> I ended up doing a bit more hacking last night.  When I tried to serialize
>> structures that contain raw java objects, I realized that I need a way to
>> convert lisp streams into java streams so that I can use the java
>> serialization system.   I ended up writing:
>>
>>  public static OutputStream
>>    outputStreamFromABCLStream(final LispObject stream) {
>>
>>    if (stream instanceof org.armedbear.lisp.Stream) {
>>      return new OutputStream() {
>>        public void write(int b) {
>>          ((org.armedbear.lisp.Stream) stream)._writeByte(b);
>>        }
>>      };
>>    } else {
>>      throw new RuntimeException("argument not an abcl stream");
>>    }
>>  }
>>
>> and another version for InputStream.  Should something like these
>> also go in as primitives?
>
> For binary input/output streams only, I think accessing the Java
> streams wrapped by the Lisp stream is a better solution: no extra
> objects are allocated and no API mismatch is possible. Unfortunately
> those are private fields right now, but a couple of getters are not
> hard to add ;)
>
> so, your outputStreamFromABCLStream would become:
>
> public static OutputStream
>  outputStreamFromABCLStream(final LispObject stream) {
>
>  if (stream instanceof org.armedbear.lisp.Stream) {
>    return ((org.armedbear.lisp.Stream) stream).getOutputStream();
>  } else {
>    throw new RuntimeException("argument not an abcl stream");
>  }
> }
>
> or, if you don't mind getting a ClassCastException instead, simply
>
> public static OutputStream
>  outputStreamFromABCLStream(final LispObject stream) {
>  return ((org.armedbear.lisp.Stream) stream).getOutputStream();
> }
>
> what do you think?

I think that's a much better solution!  I don't mind ClassCastExceptions, my
code had that structure because it started as something copy/pasted out of
Stream.java.  And I was using _readByte and _writeByte just because I didn't
want to have to make changes to Stream.java and end up with my own version
of abcl.

-david k.