[armedbear-devel] pathname-directory

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Mar 11 08:19:48 UTC 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 3:00 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> CL-USER(1): (PATHNAME-DIRECTORY
> #P"jar:file:/Users/alanr/Desktop/lsw.jar!/lsw/jss/invoke.abcl")
> -> (:RELATIVE "lsw" "jss")
>
> I think that's wrong. Should be :absolute, right?

:RELATIVE is the desired behavior because "!/" is actually a terminal
symbol that separates the URL from the ENTRY, i.e.

  JAR-PATHNAME ::= "jar:" URL "!/" ENTRY

If you look at the contents of a jar file via java.util.ZipFile.entries(),
all the hierarchal entries do not have an initial slash, so are
best expressed as relative pathnames.  Or at least that was true
in my testing.  Although I didn't look a specification of Zip file
structure to confirm this but rather observed how the JVM tools on
various platforms behaved, so perhaps this is an incorrect assumption.

Do you have an example of a JAR where this isn't the case?  If so,
please give details so we can somehow figure out how to accommodate
this behavior.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."