[armedbear-devel] generated abcl shell script executable

Mark Evenson evenson.not.org at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 05:25:14 UTC 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 9:57 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

[…]

> I hope your wrist is starting to do better? Or is it really broken? In
> that case, we might want to skype instead!

It's definitely broken: radius was completely detached from the
carpals.  Oddly, I'm encouraged to type because it promotes healing,
but I quickly tire.

> Anyway, the attached patch hasn't been applied. I have 2 remarks:
>

> -exec @JAVA@ @ABCL_JAVA_OPTIONS@ \
> -  -cp  @ABCL_CLASSPATH@ \
> +if [ -z ${CLASSPATH} ]; then
>
> ----> I thought this should be _-z "${CLASSPATH}" to handle those
> cases where there are spaces in the path.

Agreed: this should have surrounding double quotes.

> +    CLASSPATH=@ABCL_CLASSPATH@
>
> ----> I think it's customary to use lower-case variable names for
> non-exported variables; especially if I look at configure scripts,
> that's the idea I get. Using lowercase makes the script less confusing
> too, because then it doesn't re-assign CLASSPATH.

Yes, lowercase for non-exported variables is the convention but
with the JVM classpath everyone seems to use all-caps.  Extremely
contrived  counter example:  ABCL invokes a subprocess that expects
to have ABCL's jars listed in the CLASSPATH variable

But go ahead and use lowercase here: it makes our intention clearer.

> +else
> +    CLASSPATH=@ABCL_CLASSPATH@:${CLASSPATH}
> +fi
> +
> +CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH exec @JAVA@ @ABCL_JAVA_OPTIONS@ \
>   org.armedbear.lisp.Main \
>   "$@"

[…]

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."