[armedbear-devel] r12666 breaks ASDF compilation on Linux

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Wed Jun 2 17:14:33 UTC 2010

On 6/2/10 6:56 PM, Alessio Stalla wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Mark Evenson<evenson at panix.com>  wrote:
[…]
>> I think the second part of the patch is good, as Pathname.init()
>> shouldn't be setting the namestring at all.  The getNamestring()
>> accessor should construct the value on its first invocation.
>
> But won't that construct it with \ on Windows?

Yeah, but that should be the right behavior: translate to the native
directory separator, right?

>> So I would be led to think that the first part of the patch is wrong.
>> At best, it has no effect on the action on the algorithim.
>
> It has the effect of preventing getNamestring() to recalculate the
> namestring until the pathname is modified.

Hmmm: I don't see why that would be desirable.  I evidently don't
understand enough context here then without running tests (which is
tough to do with this wrist).  Naively, I expect we need some sort of
heuristic in Pathname.init(String) that detects if the Pathname was
serialized on the other platform, then takes corrective action.  Cases
like 'c:/this/path' or '\\\\server\mount\point' serialized under Windows
will have no exact meaning under non-Windows for which I don't know what
would be reasonable behavior.  Just ignore those parts?