[armedbear-devel] Questions for use in a server

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Sat Jan 9 00:24:38 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I am considering using ABCL as an extension language to a Web server app I
have.  I know the answer to many of the questions I have in choosing the
correct extension language and ABCL seems to fit the bill well.  I do have
some questions, however.

1.  Can ABCL run concurrently in multiple threads without any problems (I
understand the ramifications in terms of my application code)?

2.  I would like to have some utility code which is loaded once and shared
by all the ABCL threads.  Each thread can then run code that is independent
(i.e. they can have the same function names with different definitions).
 (Perhaps I'd have to use packages for this.)

3.  If I am running a lot of different threads will ABCL allow code to be
GC'd when the thread ends (presuming no other thread is using that code)?

4.  ABCL seems to have a somewhat heavy startup time.  This is okay for the
first time, but I need the threads to start much faster (much less than half
a second).

Thanks for the answers!

Blake