[armedbear-devel] new jcall / jar:file: path functions

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:51:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Alessio Stalla <alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Alan Ruttenberg
> <alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> At this point, we can either
>>>
>>> 1. ignore the problem,
>>> 2. always call setAccessible(true) before calling a method,
>>> 3. try to find the overridden method as up as possible in the class
>>> hierarchy before calling it, hoping to get at some point to a public
>>> class/interface
>>>
>>> 2. and 3. would make all method calls through jcall less efficient;
>>> however, we could enable one of those techniques only when some
>>> additional parameter is passed to jcall (e.g. the try-harder that was
>>> proposed some time ago for jfield).
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Ale
>>>

>> I believe that the code that jss uses a method cache and therefore
>> only needs to do the setAccessible call once. Have you looked at what
>> jsint.Invoke does or considered simply adopting it for ABCL?
>>
>> http://jscheme.sourceforge.net/jscheme/doc/api/jsint/Invoke.html
>
> We designed the following solution:
>
> every Java object (instance of JavaObject) carries a reference to its
> "intended class", which must be a supertype of the object's class.
> The intended class is used to access the object's methods via
> reflection; only if a method is not found in the intended class the
> more specific object class is used, and only if it's public.
>
> How is the intended class determined? There are two possibilities:
>
> - automatically, by looking at the method return type (for objects
> returned by a method call), field type (for objects read from a
> field), or class of the object (when it is constructed explicitly with
> jnew)
> - manually, through a new operator - (jcoerce obj class)
>
> The automatic way covers the common case of methods returning an
> instance of a class or interface implemented via a non-public inner
> class, which was the source of the bug.
>
> For more complex cases - for example when an object is an instance
> like the above but implements several different interfaces, and must
> be accessed specifically through one of them, which might not be the
> one that has been chosen automatically - jcoerce comes to help.
>
> This patch is now applied on trunk (rev. 12345) and you are encouraged
> to try it and comment on it.
>
> I haven't benchmarked it, but I don't expect a performance
> degradation, just a slightly increased memory usage due to the extra
> reference to the intended class stored in every JavaObject.
>
> Bye,
> Alessio

Will try, however:

abcl.compile.java:
    [javac] Compiling 273 source files to /Users/alanr/repos/abcl1/build/classes
    [javac] /Users/alanr/repos/abcl1/src/org/armedbear/lisp/Java.java:677:
cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor
WrongNumberOfArgumentsException(java.lang.String)
    [javac] location: class org.armedbear.lisp.WrongNumberOfArgumentsException
    [javac] 		return error(new WrongNumberOfArgumentsException("Wrong
number of arguments for " + method + ": expected " + argTypes.length +
", got " + (args.length - 2)));
    [javac]                              ^
    [javac] Note:
/Users/alanr/repos/abcl1/src/org/armedbear/lisp/JavaObject.java uses
unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.

Kind of curious: Why are you not just using the jsint implementation?
It's been in use for quite a while and it would certainly make my life
easier to be able to continue to use that interface. For example, I
use their findMethod implementation to get a method so I can optimize
certain loops by avoiding dynamic lookup each time.

-Alan