[armedbear-devel] compiler problem

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:44:03 UTC 2010

Hi Alan,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The error turned out to be in PRECOMPILE-LAMBDA and
>> PRECOMPILE-NAMED-LAMBDA. Committed the fix in r12340 in trunk. This
>> will be in 0.18.
>>
>> I think it would be a good idea to extend your inline-lambda-rewriter
>> to be able to parse/rewrite all lambda lists, not only the ones with
>> &rest arguments (did I see correctly that you restricted to that
>> case?).
>
> I did, for expediency. I don't know whether it will be worth doing it
> for all lambda lists, and full lambda list processing is complicated.
> I know that my code was using these forms - it might be worth seeing
> whether there are any uses of more complicated forms. At some point
> the additional cost of doing the lambda list processing relative to
> the extra function call might not be worth it.

But doesn't DESTRUCTURING-BIND already give us lambda-list processing
for "free"? I mean, it's too lenient with processing the lambda list
because it will allow all kinds of forms ordinary lambda lists won't
allow, but it definitely parses them.

> Don't mind doing a bit more on it if there are known cases that would benefit.

I don't know which software uses this a lot, but I think it's just
very nice to support the general case, if there's support to be
written anyway.