[armedbear-devel] Spurious errors about redefinitions

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Wed Jan 6 12:44:48 UTC 2010

On 1/5/10 10:57 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
[…]
> I've run tests on Slime with a version just before my changes. I
> *think* I saw the same slew of warnings. Can you tell me which abcl
> version is known not to generate them (using the current SLIME head
> version)?

It turns out to start with [svn r12306], and it never went away.  I
thought that you had corrected this with [svn r12324] based on your
comment, but had not actually verified it in my installation.

Reproducing this problem is simple.

1.  Create a file to compile named "foo.lisp" containing the form

	(defun foo () 42)

     The contents of the file don't seem to matter.

2.  Start ABCL, compile the file

	CL-USER> (compile-file "foo")

3.  Quit ABCL.

4.  Restart ABCL, issuing

	CL-USER> (load "foo")

You'll see an warning along the lines of

   STYLE-WARNING: redefining COMMON-LISP-USER::FOO in
#P"/Users/evenson/work/abcl/foo.lisp" (previously defined in NIL)

emitted.