[armedbear-devel] ASDF-INSTALL committed to trunk

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat Feb 20 21:51:43 UTC 2010

A port of ASDF-INSTALL has been [committed to trunk][1].

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12487

I have a lot of issues with the shape of this package.  This is a commit
to both get feedback and to leave a "stake in the ground" so I can move
to the more pressing issue of the long form of
DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION.  I really don't expect ASDF-INSTALL to work
well under Windows, but you at least need [cgywin installed][2] for the
'tar' and 'gpg' binaries to have a fighting chance.

[2]: http://www.cygwin.com/

To use this package, one must invoke Ant with the target "abcl.contrib"
whereupon a jar named "dist/abcl-contrib.jar" is created.  Use the
following in your ~/.abclrc (replacing ${dist.dir} with the absolute
path of 'abcl-contrib.jar'):

   (require 'asdf)
   (pushnew "jar:file:${dist.dir}/abcl-contrib.jar!/asdf-install/"
asdf:*central-registry*)

Then issuing

   CL-USER> (require 'asdf-install)

will load ASDF-INSTALL.

After you have loaded ASDF-INSTALL, you use it by issuing commands of
the form:

   CL-USER> (asdf-install:install :PACKAGE)

where PACKAGE is [an asdf installable system identifier][3].  This  will
attempt to install that system and all of its dependencies under
~/.asdf-install-dir.

[3]: http://www.cliki.net/ASDF-Install

To use the system, you need to inform ADSF of the location to load
systems by having

(pushnew '(merge-pathnames ".asdf-install-dir/systems/"
            (user-homedir-pathname))
          asdf:*central-registry*)

in your '~/.abclrc'.

What are my "issues"?

1.  A large part of the value proposition of ASDF-INSTALL is that it is
supposed to be help people newish to Lisp manage the installation of a
lot of libraries to "get something running fast" but we don't have it as
a standard part of ABCL.  Why?  Because ABCL should simply mean "you
need Java x.x to run Common Lisp" leaving the platform distinctions
behind.  But since under Microsoft Windows ASDF-INSTALL relies on a)
cygwin and b) symbolic links, it requires even *more* steps to get
working for the hypothetical newcomer (who is likely coming from Windows
in the first place).  So we currently have no choice (or so I have
argued myself into the position of) other than making ASDF-INSTALL an
optional part of ABCL, if we wish to preserve the worthwhile semantics
of platform independence.

2.  The determination of the location of 'tar' and 'gpg' binaries should
be better handled.

3.  A lot of ASDF packages don't work well with ABCL, at least without
patches.  It would be nice to have something sort of like [Lispy][4]
that could "intervene" for patching and recommendations for versions to
install.  In fact, a much more distributed manner of naming ADSF
installable systems would be welcome.

[4]: http://common-lisp.net/project/lispy/

4.  The #+windows conditionals make the asdf-contrib.jar non-platform
independent.  They should be replaced with (find :windows *features*)
type forms.

5.  The location of the 'abcl-contrib.jar' should at least be inferred
from the location of 'abcl.jar' if they are in the same directory, but
there isn't currently a reasonable proposal for how this would work to
specify the ASDF location.

6.  SBCL's version of asdf-install, although listed as "0.2" compared to
the "0.6.10" that I ported seems to have more sophisticated conditionals
for Microsoft Windows conditionals that should be examined for inclusion.

Patches and comments welcome.