[armedbear-devel] Building with Netbeans

Paul Griffioen P.R.Griffioen at uva.nl
Thu Feb 11 18:45:52 UTC 2010

Hi everybody

I'm having trouble building the latest version of ABCL from Netbeans. Can
you help me out?

I work with Netbeans 6.8 (just upgraded for ANT) and run the build from the
menu. Running the generated jar with 'java -jar abcl.jar geeft' gives the
following message:

Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
abcl.jar

I noticed that the manifest.mf just contains the following:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.7.1
Created-By: 1.6.0_0-b11 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
Class-Path:

Is the Netbeans build supposed to work? Does anybody have any idea why the
Main is not in the generated manifest?

A second question is what the best way is to include the jna library. I'm
trying to compile CFFI with ABCL but that required jna as the following
quote from CFFI's code shows:

;;; This implementation requires the Java Native Access (JNA) library.
;;; <http://jna.dev.java.net/>

I downloaded the required jna.jar and figured that I could include it
somehow in abcl.jar after building that. Unfortunately that build failed but
I would like to be able to use it from Netbeans anyway. Does anybody know
how to do that? My knowledge of the Java ecosystem is limited so figuring
this out for ABCL specifically is not easy.

Finally I would appreciate feedback on the following patch for
TRIVIAL-FEATURES I needed to write to get CFFI to compile. It turned out
that the endianess feature wasn't set.

diff -rN old-trivial-features/src/tf-abcl.lisp
new-trivial-features/src/tf-abcl.lisp
31c31,38
< ;;; TODO
---
> (pushnew (let ((order (jcall "toString"
>                              (jstatic "nativeOrder"
"java.nio.ByteOrder"))))
>            (cond ((string-equal order "LITTLE_ENDIAN")
>                   :little-endian)
>                  ((string-equal order "BIG_ENDIAN")
>                   :big-endian)
>                  (t (error "Byte order ~A unknown" order))))
>          *features*)

Like I said, I'm no Java expert and feedback would be helpful.

Any comment, help or pointers would be appreciated.

Paul