[armedbear-devel] Question about calling Java

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:50:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Nitralime <nitralime at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 02/03/2010 08:05 PM, Mark Evenson wrote:
>
> On 2/3/10 8:00 PM, Alessio Stalla wrote:
>

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM, nitralime<nitralime at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>

> IMHO, the ablity of using Java libraries easily should be an integral
> part of
> every language targeting JVM! I find it very unfortunate that the Java
> integration
> of ABCL is practically (i.e. out of the box) absent.
>

> Why do you say that? ABCL's Java FFI is somewhat verbose, but apart
> from this limitation that Mark found, and maybe some things that could
> be polished and made more uniform, you can do anything you want.
>

> We would probably be using SBCL if we didn't want integration with the
> JVM…
>

> My description of the situation was intentionally provocative :-(
> I just wanted to draw your attention to the fact that the current
> JVM integration could be more user friendly than what it is now!

Do you have ideas on how to make it more user-friendly?

> A more systematic tutorial would also be very nice for inexperienced users
> like me :-)

I agree, something like "how to use <insert java library here> with
abcl" would be useful as a starting point for new users. Would you
volunteer to write it? ;) More seriously, like Ville said, it would be
nice if you identified what is hard for you and what is lacking in
documentation, and write a report about it; someone else, or yourself
when you'll have more experience, will eventually be able to use that
information to make our documentation better.

Alessio