[armedbear-devel] [rfc] Preventing stack inconsistencies - structurally

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 13:47:54 UTC 2010

Hi Alan,

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> a) I don't know internals well enough to decipher the proposal.

That's no problem, I'll gladly answer any questions that you may have.
I was really deep into the details when writing the proposal, so, I
probably missed some of the context when trying to write down the
higher level issue.

> Is allocation on the stack a performance optimization?

Yes and no. It's a logical consequence of the structure of the JVM:
doesn't have registers like most CPUs, meaning that the only way to
pass operands to the JVM instructions is by pushing them onto the
stack. Equally, all operations return values on the stack, if any.
This is true for all operations, including function calls.

However, the choice to actually leave the values on the stack instead
of saving them to local variables and reloading them later, could be
considered an optimization. Saving to local vars - if taken to its
extremest - would lead to the following byte code as the compiled
version of "(if (eq val1 val2) :good :bad)", assuming val1 and val2
are local variables (let bindings):

 aload 1
 astore 3
 aload 2
 astore 4
 aload 3
 aload 4
 ifacmp :label1
 getstatic ThisClass.SYMBOL_BAD
 astore 5
 goto :label2
:label1
 getstatic ThisClass.SYMBOL_GOOD
 astore 5
:label2
 aload 5

Currently the same code compiles to:

aload 1
aload 2
ifacmp :label1
getstatic ThisClass.SYMBOL_BAD
goto label2
:label1
getstatic ThisClass.SYMBOL_GOOD
:label2

Although I admit that I have no idea about the cost of performance,
I'd estimate a significant growth in the size of our JAR file at
least.

> If so has any metering been done to see whether it actually impacts performance?

No (because I haven't perceived it as a performance optimization per
se, but as a size optimization too).

> If  you would like opinions from me and perhaps others perhaps you could
> say a few more words about what the safety issue is? When is the JVM
> stack cleared?

The JVM clears the stack when it enters an exception handler (in Java
typically a catch{} or finally {} block). This is by itself not
necessarily a problem: LET/LET* and PROGV just rethrow the exception
after unbinding the specials they might have bound.

However, TAGBODY/GO, BLOCK/RETURN and CATCH/THROW are constructs which
catch exceptions in the Java world and continue processing in the
current frame. This is a problem: if any values had been collected on
the stack before the TAGBODY form, they've now "disappeared" in some
of the code-paths. Most of the negative effects have been eliminated
by rewriting code into constructs which don't cause the same
behaviour, so, normally, you shouldn't see this happening.

> b) If you are going to be doing thinking about compiler architecture I
> would very much like to see some thought going into debuggability. My
> current impression is that the trend is downward with more and more
> cases of not even being able to see function call arguments in slime.
> For example, at this point in ABCL's development, I think having a
> compiler option that pays performance for the ability to view local
> variables in the debugger should be an increasing priority.

This compiler option should be hooked to the OPTIMIZE DEBUG
declaration, if you ask me.

> Other's
> mileage may vary, but in my case, where the bulk of time is spent in
> java libraries of various sorts, improving lisp performance is a
> distinctly lower priority than improving developer productivity by
> making it easier to debug.

Thanks! This is very valuable feedback. It's often very hard to
determine what next steps to take; it's easy to focus on performance,
since it's very well measurable. However, performance isn't the only
thing which influences the development cycle. It'd be great to discuss
the kind of things ABCL would need to add for debugability using a
number of real-world problems: it'll make the problem much more
tangible (at least to me).

> 2¢,
> Alan

Thanks for your comments!