[armedbear-devel] failure to compile big files

Carlos Ungil carlos.ungil at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 13:19:10 UTC 2010

Dear ABCL developers,

trying to "compile-file" the following fragment of code using the
latest release results in an error "s2 argument 32778 out of 16-bit
signed range."

(defmacro many-functions (n)
  (append '(progn)
	  (loop for i from 1 to n
	     collect `(defun ,(intern (format nil "TEST~A" i)) ()
			(print ,i)))))

(many-functions 1525)

There are no problems with 0.20 (even for much bigger values of the
parameter, i.e. bigger output files). I encountered the problem with a
file containing several calls to the macro def-java-class in Jfli. It
took me some time to discover that splitting the file in two was
enough to make the problem go away...

This is not a critical bug (it's usually easy to reorganize the code
to ensure the files are small enough), but you might want to look at
it.

Cheers,

Carlos