[armedbear-devel] [armedbear-cvs] r12620 - trunk/abcl/src/org/armedbear/lisp

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:48:00 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Mark Evenson <mevenson at common-lisp.net> wrote:
> Author: mevenson
> Date: Fri Apr 16 09:41:21 2010
> New Revision: 12620
>
> Log:
> Use interpreted form in a FASL if compliation fails.

Although I think this is a great fallback, it seems to be
automatically selected right now. I'm affraid of the negative side
effects of that scenario: people will not notice that their code
wasn't compiled, but is now interpreted instead. The ultimate side
effect could be that we don't get any reports anymore regarding
brokenness of our compiler.

In my eyes, there are 2 ways forward with this: 1) We undo this
option; this leaves users at a loss when compilation fails; they'll
need to use the entire file uncompiled. 2) We make the fallback a
selectable restart; this way, compilation gets interrupted, the user
is aware and we're much more likely to receive our feedback. But the
user isn't restricted to using a fully interpreted file anymore.

Quite possibly, you can read my preference through the lines already:
I think option (2) is *really* nice.

What's your opinion on the matter?