[armedbear-devel] CLOS thread safety

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:37:32 UTC 2010

Hi David,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM, David Kirkman <dkirkman at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, David Kirkman <dkirkman at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can you share some examples which show the issues here? Adding
>>> thread-safety to clos.lisp - in specific, targeted places - should be
>>> well doable.
>>>

> Here is a second example that reliably gives me an error.  This
> time, I only need two threads:
>
> (defclass counter ()
>  ((count :initform 0)))

Yesterday, I took a little time to look at the issue you mention. You
said with 1 big "lock around everything" it all worked. Where did you
put that lock? I tried putting some locks in a number of places
(educated guesses), but nothing helped so far. I don't have data
regarding the stack trace you see when running into this issue - there
wasn't enough time for it.

I know now that the error comes from one of two functions in
StandardGenericFunction.java, but that's simply based on the text
you're seeing in the error message.

The above is to let you know I did some work on it - and the current
state. Maybe someone has time to work on it before me: I may have time
to work on it some more somewhere next week.