[armedbear-devel] threads, join, clos

David Kirkman dkirkman at ucsd.edu
Sat Apr 24 20:58:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have one question regarding the patch though: How would the caller
> know the difference between the scenario where an Interrupted
> exception occurs and the one where the thread is really joined?
>
> Should we use the return value NIL to signal "not joined" and T for "joined"?

Yes!  Here is an updated patch that does that.

The other option for thread-join return values is to have
it return the value of the function used in make-thread.
That way thread-join will both wait for the thread to finish
and collect it's value, and I don't have to set up global
variables to collect the results.  (Which is the way I always
*want* join to work!)

I've included a second patch in which implements join that way.  It
also returns a second T/NIL value indicating if the thread finished
normally or was interrupted.  The only disadvantage to this is that
in other languages join either returns nothing or a
success/failure code.

Cheers,

-david