[armedbear-devel] Design for better source location

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 13:45:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
>> I added the [gist of Tobias' analysis in the Wiki][1].
>>
>> [1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/wiki/SourceLocation
>>

> Regarding the comment:
>
>> SWANK-COMPILE-STRING must be implemented on top of COMPILE-FILE, the
>> current implementation is wrong.
>
> Note that slime may assume that a running lisp has access to a
> writeable file system, which may not be the case. So this is probably
> too strong a constraint.

In general I think that ABCL would benefit from a COMPILE-STRING
function which works exactly like COMPILE-FILE but performs all I/O in
memory. Given Mark's Pathname URL support, maybe we could have a
"special" url scheme (say, abcl-memory) to represent in-memory
"files"? This would perhaps make such a function easier to implement.

Just my .02,
Alessio