[armedbear-devel] [ansi-test-devel] Unicode, CHAR-UPCASE/CHAR-DOWNCASE and char-upcase.1/char-upcase.2

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Sun Apr 4 08:58:10 UTC 2010

On 4/3/10, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:

>  However, in section 13.1.10, there seems to be an escape hatch:
>  "Documentation of implementation-defined scripts". A script is a
>  subtype of CHARACTER, nothing more nothing less. An
>  implementation-defined script gets to document the effect on
>  CHAR-UPCASE and CHAR-DOWNCASE.

I don't think this gives you a license to discard the round-tripping invariant.

>  there's no need to have the round-tripping requirement apply to most
>  of unicode - as can't be expected, see latin-small-letter-dotless-i
>  for an example.

why not make it its own upper case?
this is not exactly correct from the unicode pov, but, I think, it is
better that the alternative.
this round-tripping requirement is, i think, pretty important in symbol i/o.

--
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org>