[armedbear-devel] Making tags (in tagbody) and block names unique

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:04:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> On IRC, we had a discussion some days ago where it was found that ABCL
> doesn't use unique tag-identifications in tagbody, leading to somewhat
> dynamically scoped tagbodies, instead of perfectly lexically scoped.
>
> BLOCK also uses non-unique names (think NIL), leading to the same
> issue. Both the compiler and the interpreter exhibit the problem.

Actually, to be specific: BLOCK is a compiler issue (as it turns out
BLOCK does do the right thing in the interpreter), TAGBODY is an
interpreter and compiler issue.

> Consider the following code:
>
> (labels ((p (b)
>           (tagbody
>              (if (not b)
>                  (p #'(lambda () (go :foo)))
>                  (funcall b))
>              (return-from p :bar)
>            :foo
>              (return-from p :foo))))
>  (p nil))

Or, for BLOCK, consider the following:

(labels ((p (b)
          (block nil
             (if (not b)
                 (p #'(lambda () (return :foo)))
                 (funcall b))
             (return-from p :bar))))
 (p nil))

> It should return :foo, but return :bar on ABCL's interpreter instead.
> (The fact that the compiler works, means there's probably a bug in it
> somewhere, because there's no explanation why it would.)

The BLOCK code returns :BAR on 0.16.0.

> I'm now thinking of ways to make the tags/blocknames unique. The one
> way I could come up with for the interpreter is this:

[ snip ]

I committed a change for BLOCK which replaces a static symbol with the
content of a closure variable. This variable is set up upon entry of
the block form and contains a unique identifier by allocating a
specific LispObject, but *only* if the block contains non-local
RETURN-FROMs.

I'm thinking of the right way to do the same with TAGBODY.