[armedbear-devel] In-memory compilation!

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 22:05:48 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I managed to get temp-file-less compilation with COMPILE working. And
the hilarious things is: the classloader experiment was not necessary
for this, as the compiler already behaved differently according the
the value of *file-compilation*, and the use of loadCompiledFunction
that troubled me was only done for the file compiler! So it's
sufficient to move file creation from inner functions to outer ones
and to pass an additional stream parameter to inner functions. Things
can be made clearer - now the structure used to represent compilation
results, class-file, is required to always have a pathname set, even
when no file is created, for example. But I believe we're on the right
track.

I cannot provide a patch now because I have still have to clean up the
classloader changes. Btw I believe that the use of classloaders is a
good thing even if it's not used for memory compilation (for one
thing, it would play nicer with serialization of lisp functions, if we
ever want that).

Cheers,
Ale