[armedbear-devel] Java callbacks

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 07:09:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:21 PM, John Pallister <john at synchromesh.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Alessio Stalla <alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thoughts?
>
> Sounds pretty good to me, FWIW. Have you frequently found yourself
> wanting such a thing, or did you just notice the gap in the coverage
> of the API?

Not frequently. I'm writing a library which in a certain use case
needs a factory of Java objects passed by the user (in this case, a
Java programmer, not a Lisp programmer). I thought that I could design
my own interface to model the factory, but then I thought that I could
just pass a Lisp function, and then the idea of a more Java-friendly
general callback class (since as I said extending Function involves a
bit of boilerplate). At this point the thing is clearly more general
than my particular use case, and since Java integration is abcl's main
strength, I just thought it could be a nice addition to it.

Bye,
Alessio