[armedbear-devel] svn r12228 breaks build

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Nov 30 09:25:42 UTC 2009

svn r12228 breaks the ABCL build pretty badly, with (at least) mention
of the non-existent 'LispTrampolinesFile', although there are other
errors that may/or may not be corrected by the addition of this missing
file.

I am neutral with the intent of the patch to introduce static imports
for Lisp.java, although as I understand it this is merely a cosmetic
change as it doesn't change the generated bytecode.  The use of the
wildcard import bothers me a bit as the intent of the linkage is then
implicit rather than explicit, but in truth this loses no more
information that a call to "Lisp.foo()".  I find I tend to get confused
about where the symbol is coming from (is it inherited?  is it from the
import?), but maybe I am getting old and grumpy.

But as to the use of a trampoline, the last time I understand the
proposal from David Miles, I was definitely against as requiring a lot
of rather ugly looking boilerplate code to every Primitive without
providing anything substantial in return.  I admit that  would need to
re-study David's proposal a bit to come up with more concrete arguments,
but at the level I understood it my negative assessment could be
summarized by:  maintaining the trampoline linkages would be a good
candidate for an automatic tool with access to the Java AST.  Without
such a tool, we end up creating more work to maintain/undestand the source.

Therefore, I would advocate reverting svn r12228 for the time being, and
at least separating the two issues of the static wildcard import of
Lisp.java from the introduction of LispTrampolineFile.java.