[armedbear-devel] Inline primitives as static method calls

logicmoo at gmail.com logicmoo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 10:13:10 UTC 2009

Oh the above was attempting to describe LarKC SubLisp implementation
of this article: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-dyn0610/
I couldnt find it before sending the email!
The intial LarKC implemention used reflection in the same maner as InlinedPrimive does. The after reading that article, I found I
could replace Method[] cache inside InlinedPrimive with generated methodStubs produced runtime for reflection performance.

> but consider also that the
> implementation through reflection is the default one, for convenience,
> but you can still override the various execute() methods and call the
> static method directly (of course, you have to make sure the method
> you call is the same as the one you pass in the constructor, or things
> start to behave differently in interpreted vs compiled code and that's
> definitely not good :D). Something like
>
> new InlinedPrimitive(My.class, "myMethod", ...) {
>    public LispObject execute(LispObject arg) {
>      return My.myMethod(arg);
>    }
> }

Yup, InlinePrimtive still leaves that option open.
If someone really wanted to, they can do that with a couple of their InlinedPrimtives if they noticed one particualtar method was
getting called quite a bit.  Making the instance execute call the static function
(Like EQ/EQL/EQUAL for instance avoiding reflection.)

> The class I posted lacks the constructors taking the class and the
> method, because I have been lazy ;), but they can easily be added -
> with the caveat that, since the call to super() must be the first and
> for Function super() sometimes (always?) installs the function in a
> symbol (iirc), if you pass a wrong class/method to InlinedPrimitive
> and as a result an exception is thrown, you'll have a symbol pointing
> to an invalid function.

I realy do like how you did it as factory method:

    public static final Primitive COPY_TREE =
           InlinedPrimitive.get(Primitives.class,
      "copyTree", Symbol.COPY_TREE,  "object");

And depending on safety/speed you could save the string name of the class and method name for later and not even try to resolve the
method[] until first time call.. and signal an error then if not found.  This could be used like autoloading.