[armedbear-devel] [REVISED] Patch for including relevant java stack frames

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Jul 30 10:09:30 UTC 2009

Attached is a revised patch incorporating Java stack frames in the
backtrace against ABCL SVN HEAD.

This revision:

*  solves the "off by one" error of Tobias's original patch in a way
that is more robust to stack dumps from other sources (such as calling
into ABCL when the top level interpreter has not been established)

*  restores the ability to inspect a mixed Java/Lisp backtrace via the
ABCL inspector

*  utilizes the stack optimization introduced by Erik in [svn r12064] in
using a link in the StackFrame itself

The Java stack traces certainly give an ABCL implementer a lot more
useful information to understand what is going on although it could be
more complete with information on the local variables on the various
Java frames.  But I wonder how useful this would really be for the
"end-user" who would be confused by the abstraction barrier ("Why am I
getting reference to a Java stack in my Lisp call?").

Comments please on whether this functionality would be useful, and
potential improvements.