[armedbear-devel] (lisp) Stack management efficiency

Matt Lamari matt.lamari at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 13:03:37 UTC 2009

I'm kinda new here, and maybe I'm not fully grasping what you mean. . . . .

But there are considerable advantages to having a reference be eligible
for collection the instant it is last referenceable, and cause for
concern when this hold can persist in an invisible form.

I have worked in code where a reference to a structure of size ends up
at the top of a call stack.  Having it persist would basically be a leak
(especially if some derived duplicate were made).  Having this effect
occur on some granularity would make the effect nondeterministic (e.g.
testing the same code fragment in a vacuum would not repeat the leak).