[armedbear-devel] patch: do not call compile for every call of eql-specialized generic functions

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Jul 14 09:47:53 UTC 2009

Anton Vodonosov wrote:
> 2009/7/13 Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com>:
>> I'm not totally convinced as to what would happen to the eql-specialization
>> cache in the face of subsequent redefinitions, but can't really come up with
>> a good counter-example.
>
> More precisely it's not only eql-specialized method cache, but cache
> for all the (effective) methods.

[…]

Thanks for the more detailed explanation of what's going on here.  It
gives me a better place to meditate for my understanding.

> Christophe Rhodes in sbcl-help once pointed me to "Efficient Method
> Dispatch in PCL" by Kiczales and Rodriguez. Maybe you'll find it
> useful (I personally still haven't worked through this 15 pages doc;
> but the quick glance i made at that time gave me understanding that
> CLOS dispatch is optimized by caching and therefore helped to
> understand the ABCL code now).

Further help in this paper ["Efficient Method Dispatch in PCL"][1] is
also appreciated.

[1]:
http://www2.parc.com/csl/groups/sda/publications/papers/Kiczales-Andreas-PCL/for-web.pdf