[armedbear-devel] patch: do not call compile for every call of eql-specialized generic functions

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Jul 13 14:21:01 UTC 2009

Anton Vodonosov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The attached is a patch to improve performance of eql-specialized
> generic functions.

Committed as [svn 12042][1].

I'm not totally convinced as to what would happen to the
eql-specialization cache in the face of subsequent redefinitions, but
can't really come up with a good counter-example.  Your understanding of
our CLOS implementation seems already greater than mine, your patch does
speed up swank's fuzzy completion, and it doesn't seem to break anything
that I could find, so we'll go with this behavior for now.  If anyone
else has objections, please let us know.

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12042

> In the patch method getArgSpecialization could probably be named better.
> Also I am not sure if you want to keep the wordy javadoc comment; i just
> decided to put the patch explanation to the sources instead of this email.

Comments, especially long ones, are always welcome.

Thanks for the contribution!