[armedbear-devel] [RFC] Support for 'synchronized' blocks in Lisp code

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 23:11:28 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen at gmail.com>:
> Of course I may be wrong - but I'd be somewhat surprised if all memory
> memory access is volatile
> (in the C sense) during a synchronized block. That would take an
> enormous perf hit on multi-cpu
> systems with IPIs and such.

Not during a block of course. That's why in my example SYNCHRONIZED is
_inside_ of the DOTIMES.

Formal specification is here
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/memory.html#17.4.

Again, not sure if memory synchronization semantics of "synchronized"
is a problem for ABCL impl. Maybe no difficulties arise from that.
Just wanted to remind that sycnrhonized is not just an API call to
some locking method.

Best regards,
-Anton