[armedbear-devel] Common central location for system-wide configuration.

Olsen, Peter C. Peter.Olsen at jhuapl.edu
Thu Dec 31 11:42:08 UTC 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've come to the point where it would be convenient for me to establish a
system-wide run-time configuration so that every invocation of ABCL for
every user starts with a few common packages.  The only way I can find to do
that is to have everyone put the appropriate code in their .abclrc files.
I've tried to put a load command in the shell script that starts the
interpreter, but it doesn't work.

/usr/bin/java -classpath abcl.jar:jscheme.jar org.armedbear.lisp.Main "(load
\"invoke.lisp\")" $@

I suggest that we consider changing the processInitializationFile method in
Interpreter.java to look for some sort of initialization file in the
directory in which abcl.jar is located when the Interpreter starts.  That
seems to be a simple change.  A more elegant solution would be add some code
to determine the OS and then look for configuration files in an appropriate
place for each one.

I'm a newbie to this project, so I don't want to overstep my bounds.  Having
said that, I'd be happy to make and test the changes I've proposed.

Comments (particularly on the OS variation)?

Thanks!

Peter
--
Peter Olsen, P.E., Ae.E.
Registered Professional Engineer, Maryland License 12283

Heterogeneity is inevitable and must be supported by design. (RFC 1958)