[armedbear-devel] svn r12228 breaks build

dmiles at users.sourceforge.net dmiles at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 1 00:16:17 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Huelsmann" <ehuels at gmail.com>
To: "Ville Voutilainen" <ville.voutilainen at gmail.com>
Cc: <armedbear-devel at common-lisp.net>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [armedbear-devel] svn r12228 breaks build

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Ville Voutilainen
> <ville.voutilainen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/11/30 Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen at gmail.com>:
>>> I added the missing file, now the build should be ok. We can debate the merits
>>> of the trampoline separately.
>>
>> Ok, r12290 gets rid of the LispTrampolinesFile completely. We don't
>> need it, so I took it out.
>
> Thanks.
>
> The trampolines are a different issue. If they really are an issue to
> performance, we need to do something about it. However, if they're not
> we should not increase our startup costs: reflection seems to have a
> high lookup performance hit.

I believe for the "compiled library" in abcl.jar the use of calling
only "static final" functions (AKA Trampolines) will be a tremendous speedup.

Here is some reasoning why:

All first order function calls,  "(dosomething a b c)" would not use symbol primitives.
  and bypasses several java frames.
(trace Allesso's COPY-TREE example so see how much overhead he removed)

But the worry that we have is:

Second order " (funcall #'dosomething a b c)" or "(sort foo #'mypred)"
    will hit reflection.   This will penalize when done early (load time)  or late (first call)). then durring runtime.

However even this is fixed in one of two ways:

There are 2 techiniques to get rid of reflection here:

   First is at the source level with a AST printer that converts the execute(...) signature to calling the exact
      static methods that the compiler personally calls.

   The second, is on on load time or first call to bytegenerate the primitive that makes each execute(..) that has an
   @SomeAnnotation(symbol="copy-tree",package="CL")
   public static final LispObnect copyTree(LispObject object) {..}

      And this second get rid totally the primitive subclasses  in .java!

Oh, There is also a even combination of the two....

     At compile time the annotations are read.. and the  .class(es) are generated.
       and packaged into the current archive.