[armedbear-devel] progress on Maxima + ABCL -- light at the end of the tunnel!

Robert Dodier robert_dodier at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 20:40:41 UTC 2009

Erik, thanks for looking into the problem.

--- On Wed, 8/5/09, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:

> in SPRDET.lisp, there's a top-level special declaration of the
> variable name X.

> In ABCL, there's a non-trivial difference between
> evaluation of a special variable versus a local variable.
>
> So, renaming the special variable could be a solution, but
> that would require a change on part of Maxima;

In this case, there is no problem with changing
Maxima, e.g. rename X to *X* or just cut out the
special declaration (glancing at the code,
it seems the declaration may be unnecessary).

As you know, Maxima is an archaic program.
This business about special X falls under the
heading of "general clean-up" to me.

> I'm thinking about how to revert
> the side effect at the end of the file compilation.

Well, there is a (DECLARE-TOP (UNSPECIAL X)) later on.
I guess what is needed is an implementation of
"unspecial" for ABCL.

best

Robert Dodier