[ansi-test-devel] [imp-hackers] Procedure for adding tests to the ansi test suite

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 18:46:51 UTC 2009

2009/7/28 Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus at random-state.net>:
>> If new tests are added, it may be that suddenly N+M tests are failing,
>> indicating regressions their changes introduced---which they actually
>> did not do.
> I would not be concerned about this.

Me neither - I quite recently ran into this situation with abcl. I
have a controlled
enough procedure of doing changes that I knew what happened. I never update
both abcl and the tests simultaneously.

I have some 0.02 about this discussion. I don't see a need for
excluding new tests,
because if they are correct ansi tests, I do believe they should be
run just like
the others. I also don't think new tests need to be separated in any
special way,
just add them to a file that's most suitable, and if absolutely
necessary, create
a new file.

About the suggested consensus, I'd expect there to be 3-4 people who agree
that a test is correct and in compliance with the spec. I don't see it necessary
that such people are implementation representatives, I believe it's enough
that they have a general agreement and some reasonable justification
for a new test.
This doesn't mean that the 3-4 people have to be on the mailing list. I don't
suggest a strict process, I expect people to be able to use some sense.
And I don't recommend having any veto powers.