[alexandria-devel] Proposed addition of temporary file creation utilities

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 19:01:24 UTC 2012

Faré,

neither iolib nor osicat are the right place for temporary file
handling operators like the one I proposed.  Both these libraries are
specifically targeted towards POSIX systems, so there is no chance
that they will cooperate, say, with ABCL.

Setting the process umask is something that is completely unrelated to
portably creating temporary files.

If this is not going into Alexandria, there are two likely other
outcomes:  Either the code goes into Postmodern, giving the next
person the same problem (and I've not had this problem once, but many
times), or it will end up in a trivial-temporary-file library that may
include some conditional code for setting up the default temporary
directory in a meaningful way.  With Quicklisp, this would not hurt
much, but it certainly feels a little silly to additional
trivial-whatever libraries for basic functionality.

Your remarks regarding how this request represents a "poor way to
promote Lisp as a serious language" are unwelcome, unconstructive and
wrong.  Thank you for not continuing on that path.

-Hans