[alexandria-devel] Reminder alexandria:curry is not currying

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:49:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Tomohiro Matsuyama <tomo at cx4a.org> wrote:
> Is there any progress on this discussion?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/alexandria-devel@common-lisp.net/msg00199.html
>
> I really won't use `curry' as partial application. I hope `partial-apply' will be soon available.

There has been no progress in the discussion because there has been no
clear winner with respect to how the partial application macros should
be named.  While I understand the objections against using the term
"curry" to name partial application, the naming is still a question of
style.

Unfortunately, the wrong usage of the term "curry" has been going on
in the Common Lisp world for years now, and many people have moved
over to using Alexandria's CURRY and RCURRY instead of the versions in
their private library.  At this point, it would be really upsetting to
remove those names from Alexandria again, however "wrong" they may be.

So, if anything, there should be additional names that are more
correct.  Given the discussion from 2009, I'd say we need CURRY ==
PAPPLY == PARTIALLY-APPLY and RCURRY == RPAPPLY ==
REVERSE-PARTIALLY-APPLY.  If the matter is important to you, please
submit a patch.

-Hans