[alexandria-devel] Maintenance

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Mon Mar 1 12:55:30 UTC 2010

Hi folks!

I had this idea to ask implementators how they'd feel inclined about
including Alexandria as part of their implementations as most nowadays
do with ASDF.

For that to work, of course, there has to be Alexandria releases, and
once something's officially released, backwards-compatiblity would have
to be preserved. (I think there should be an official ALEXANDRIA package
containing the stable API, and some -TESTBED or -BETA package with stuff
being in flux, but for people to try out who are so inclined. Together
with some ALEXANDRIA-VERSION<= stuff for conditionalization.)

I'd offer to step up, polish the existing code base, write tests where
needed, write documentation, do releases, and try to push the things
down the implementations. I'd hope that the quality of my existing
libraries speak for how severe I take all these steps to produce
well-rounded releases.

Nowadays, it's my impression that the only somewhat active people are
Nikodemus and Attila, where Nikodemus seems to hold the power of
ultimate decision making.

There are probably more who feel strongly about Alexandria so I wanted
to ask you first, because it'd mean a shift of responsibility and power.

What do you think?

  -T.