[alexandria-devel] eval-always, defun-always, etc...

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Tue Oct 27 17:04:17 UTC 2009

I retain most of my objections to EVAL-ALWAYS (specifically the need
to consider which phases you need and why), but if my understanding of
the way XCVB introduces more cases where it is needed is
mostly-correct, I think I can live with it in Alexandria. DEFUN-ALWAYS
I'm much more skeptical about.

My assumption of XCBV needs here is that simple XCVBification of a
system introduces new cases where EVAL-WHEN is needed, and
:cload-depends-on &co are possibly a hammer too big. If these
dependencies are always a sufficient tool, then I'm not so sure it is
really needed.

In either case, I'm not going to cry out against it very hard.
DEFCLASS* I still take a firm stand on. :)

(I do agree foo-syntax.lisp and foo.lisp (or early-foo.lisp and
foo.lisp -- whatever) style has much to recommend itself.)

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus