[alexandria-devel] Let's start the review/veto cycle

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Tue May 27 11:37:03 UTC 2008

Consider the interfaces up to

Sun Apr 27 23:53:01 EEST 2008  attila.lendvai at gmail.com
  * added simple-parse-error

under review. I think we can still continue adding new stuff, but once
the cycle has run through the existing things, we need to make a quick
run-through the additions. For clarity, please put any new stuff at
the end of the export list in package.lisp.

I plan to run this on an approximately weekly cycle: unless there is
controversy regarding the items under review, I'll post the next set
of items next week, and so on.

Actual review items coming in a separate thread. I post what I
consider a manageable set of things to review in a one go, working
through package.lisp.

Then well talk about it -- both the thing itself (FOO is a
good/bad/unnecessary thing to have / I don't understand FOO / FOO is
nice, but doesn't belong in Alexandria because of X, etc.), the
details of interface (FOO needs to use keyword arguments, FOO should
be decomposed into multiple operators, FOO should signal an error when
BAR happens, etc.), the docstring, the details of implementation, and
the tests that go with it. ...in that approximate order. I don't think
it is necessary to separate things into distinct phases unless there
is controversy. In parallel with this, "obvious" fixes and
improvements can be committed/pushed. Finally, we end up either with a
blessed item, or a rejected item.

...and I maintain that I will consider Alexandria a roaring success if
we manage to agree on ONCE-ONLY and WITH-GENSYMS/WITH-UNIQUE-NAMES and
make 80% of projects needing them to use Alexandria. :)

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus