[admin] Broken darcs push

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 23:38:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

A week ago, I sent a message regarding working with darcs 2
repositories on common-lisp.net. There are two main problems with my
workaround:

* The darcs installed on cl.net (version 1) is completely incompatible
with version 2 repositories.

* When logging into cl.net via ssh, the shell bash is called by the
name sh rather than bash, causing bash to use a compatibility mode for
sh which makes it difficult to set PATH for non-interactive logins.

$ echo $SHELL
/bin/sh

The former means that I can't work with my repositories without an
additional, personal installation of darcs, and the latter makes it
difficult to put my ~/bin in PATH since bash doesn't read either
~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc when called by the name of sh.

Now since darcs depends on being in the PATH of the remote machine
when pushing via ssh, this effectively means I can't push to my darcs
2 repositories on cl.net.

Would it be possible to upgrade the darcs installation to version 2?
The people on the darcs-user list assure me that upgrading to version
2 shouldn't cause any incompatibilities with version 1 repositories,
so any projects using version 1 at the moment shouldn't notice the
upgrade, except for a possible performance boost. And the upgrade
itself shouldn't be difficult, as there are binaries available at
http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/CategoryBinaries, as well as
up-to-date Debian packages at https://launchpad.net/~laney/+archive
(although these are intended primarily for Ubuntu, I believe).

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." -
Frank Herbert