[admin] New project request, "noctool".

Ingvar ingvar at hexapodia.net
Thu Mar 13 11:01:57 UTC 2008

Aloha, as some of you may remember from Planet Lisp posts passim, I have been
doodling on a network/system management tool, currently named "noctool". I've
had the odd offer of coding help on it and thought that common-lisp.met would
be a suitable platform for central version-control and the like.

The project, in short, is to build a distributed network and sysem monitoring
and data-collecting platform. It currently supports gathering ping RTT data
(for delay and aliveness monitoring), disk usage, web server checks and a
framework for doing TCP-based application cheks (the web server check is but a
special case of the TCP-based checking). In time, I hope to add assorted
SNMP-based monitoring.

The distribution model is intended both as a means for the viewer portion to
conect to the data gatherers and to make it easy (or at least easier) to use
multiple data-gathering stations (with the drawback that any given element and
the things monitored on that element must be monitored from one of the
existing data gatherers).

Noctool can also graph all the things it monitors, an example graph can be
seen at http://src.hexapodia.net/noctool/disktest.gif

MC, I suspect that if you just reply to this, including an ASCII-armoured PGP
key, they'll set you up with an account and add you to the project (if,
indeed, it is approved).

I already have a cl.net account, "imattsson".

//Ingvar