[admin] darcs on cl.net

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 22:55:06 UTC 2008

> Hi Attila,

hi Gary,

>  I know that Drew has been migrating to a new server and this may be what
> changed.  If I understand you correctly, we need to restore /usr/bin/darcs so
> that it is a symlink to /usr/bin/darcs-bin. Is that right?

almost.

ln -s darcs-script darcs

this way, when pushing, the script is called by the client side darcs,
which first sets the umask and only after that calls darcs-bin. i'm
not sure if this is still needed, recent darcs versions may have a fix
for that.

without this if you push a patch that creates a new file or directory,
then other comitters won't be able to push anything that would alter
the same file until issuing a chmod -R g+w by the one who originally
pushed the patch that created the file.

also note that there may be other alternatives to set the effective
umask a binary will run with, but i'm no linux guru.

thanks for looking into this!

--
 attila