[admin] Re: common-lisp.net admin position

Elliott A. Johnson elliott at iparadigms.com
Tue Sep 25 23:03:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

Just following up on this as I haven't seen nor heard any mention of the position being filled on common-lisp.net or planet.lisp.org.  I am still interested in helping out if you need it.

Here's a little more background information on me:

I'm senior sysadmin for a company called iParadigms, which does plagiarism detection for universities and publishers.  I work primarily with the CIO, Emmanuel Briand, in planning and implementing the IT infrastructure for our R&D department to use in developing our various web services.  We maintain a farm of 350 servers across two co-locations that serve the websites turnitin.com, ithenticate.com, and plagiarism.org.  I work at the main office in downtown Oakland (about 4 blocks from Franz Inc.) and live in the Jack London Square area which is comfortable walking distance to work.

Some of the items I'm in charge of are our monitoring and trend analysis (nagios and cacti), a PXEboot imaging install system that I built based on gentoo linux, maintaining a sitewide configuration via cfengine, an internal database I created for keeping track of all our IT hardware resources (using clsql (postgresql socket) and a hunchentoot web frontend :), all the linux debugging I can shake a stick at, and a ton of small admin odd-n-ends like our mail server (Zimbra), scm repos (svn/trac and git), ticketing (RequestTracker), and dns (djbdns).  We are an entirely open source shop and I though admining for common-lisp.net would be a cool way to give back even if it was just running a few shell scripts.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of blowing my own horn, but if you are still looking for someone I hope this helps you make a decision.  If you'd like to talk in person my cell phone number is (510)735-4834.  Thanks again,

-E

--
Elliott Johnson
SysAdmin